Photo by David Izquierdo on Unsplash

Autumn’s Dangers for the Dog

Posted on
if you have a dog, it might be a good idea to pay extra attention.

Several things that can be dangerous for the dog to ingest.

Poisonous mushrooms

The mushrooms that are poisonous to humans are also dangerous to dogs. Some of the most poisonous mushrooms are the various fly agarics, such as white, green, red and brown fly agaric. The symptoms depend on the type of mushroom the dog has ingested, and can appear a few minutes after ingestion to a few days later.

– If you suspect that your dog may have licked or swallowed poisonous mushrooms, you should go to the vet immediately. If possible, take pictures of the fungus from all sides or bring the fungus with you so that you can show it to the vet, says vet Sara Solheim.

It can also help the vet if you have a picture or can describe what it looked like where the fungus grew. There may be different treatment methods and follow-up depending on the type of mushroom poisoning.


Most people know that mushrooms can be poisonous, but did you know that acorns can also poison dogs? 

When the acorns fall to the ground in autumn, some dogs are tempted to taste them. Acorns contain tannins which can be fatal to dogs if they ingest high doses.

– The first symptoms usually appear within 3 – 4 hours after ingestion. Vomiting, diarrhoea, loss of appetite, constipation and abdominal pain are common symptoms of acorn poisoning. The dog can also become weak, unsteady, have a fever, blood in the urine, vomit blood or have black, tar-like faeces, says Solheim.

It is important to get to the vet as soon as the dog has eaten acorns. There is no antidote, but the vet can give emetics and medical charcoal as well as fluid therapy to try to avoid chronic damage and, in the worst case, the dog dying.

Deciduous fruit

Do you have a food-loving dog that likes to eat anything it comes across? Then consider that rotten fallen fruit, such as apples that have been left for a while on the ground, can have mold on them.

The mold can produce toxins, including a nerve agent. This can cause serious illness and the symptoms usually start shortly after ingestion, with drooling, vomiting, tremors or convulsions. If you suspect that your dog may have been poisoned, see a vet as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *